Adolescents – Changes in school grades, friends, mood swings, isolation from family, any abrupt change in behavior.
Adults – Increase in the amount of use, frequency of use, time and money using; family concerns about use, absenteeism, tardiness, reduced performance at work.
Warning Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol/Drug Addiction Include:
- Failure to meet social, work, and academic obligations
- Legal problems such as arrest for DUI
- Relationships problems with intimate partners, friends, and family
- Diminished interest in other activities
- Short term memory loss or blackouts
- Physical injury or illness
- Concealment of the behavior
- Seeking the company of others who pursue the behavior or conducting the behavior only in isolation
- Inability to stop the behavior
- Denial of a problem with alcohol/drugs
If you believe a person has a problem, he or she probably does.